SharePoint is a collaborative platform based on web parts. This software integrates with Microsoft Office. It was launched in 2001 and is used as a storage system and a document management software. Although its high configuration capacity has provided varied uses for multiple businesses.
With the inception of new versions of SharePoint the features are continuously added and are also getting improved. The updates make it important for organizations to upgrade their older versions to the newer ones, no matter whether on-premise or over the cloud so that their businesses could run smoothly. Organizations dependent on SharePoint for their core operations may find this task difficult, and hence while considering upgrades and migration , they like to factor in and manage application downtime, customization, prevention of loss of important data and ensuring the constant execution of workflows.
This analysis coupled with the manual migrations ensures the smoothness in customizations and allows you to have smooth operations during the process.
SharePoint migration stands for importing the metadata, processes and content from a repository that is a legacy no matter from SharePoint or any other source into an entirely distinct platform.
Well, it is not at all easy to migrate content to a different or new environment of SharePoint. Although greater difficulties bring greater advantages. Migrating all your legacy information to an all-new SharePoint environment that to an updated one would get benefits, although challenges will be there to accompany you especially related to the technical factors. These technical factors and challenges would assist you to prevent the risk that is involved in the actual process of data migration in SharePoint that is pre-migration and post-migration.
Well, there are certain situations when SharePoint migration is suggested:
- SharePoint is not the repository for the source document.
- SharePoint version 2004/2007 is the repository for the source document.
- You have the access to a better version of SharePoint
- Redesigning is required for information architecture
- The split is required in the content database, either for improvisation in its performance, or to increase RPO and RTO.
- The distribution of content is improper
SharePoint up-gradation is the method in which the current installation of SharePoint is replaced by the latest version of SharePoint.
2 methods are there to upgrade SharePoint namely In-Place Upgrade or Database upgrade.
You can go for a SharePoint upgrade in a situation where the existing farm of yours is
- Of version 2010 or above
- The existing version persist of a structured taxonomy
- Persists appropriate collection of content database and architected sites.
- The content folders are properly distributed with no much shallows
- Your existing SharePoint version is implementing site templates such as document centre, team site or record centre.
- Or if you are switching/migrating to a major version of SharePoint from your existing one.
You must implement the database-attach method if you are upgrading your 2016 SharePoint server to 2019 SharePoint server. In this method, you are required to first create and then configure a 2019 SharePoint server farm. Afterwards, you need to copy the database of service application and the content from 2016 SharePoint server and later attach it to the database for an upgrade. By doing this the upgrade will be automatically done. The owners of the site can later upgrade the site collections individually.